Plant Medicine Ceremony Guidelines
Updated: Feb 10
“Gnothi Seauton – Know Thyself." are the words inscribed above the entrance to the temple of Apollo at Delphi, the temple of the famous Oracles of Delphi.” The Oracles of Delphi were high priestesses who used plant spirit medicines to connect with the divine.
When we call upon the spirit of a plant medicine, we are inviting that plant to connect with us on a multi dimensional level. Many studies have shown that the physical symptom of any particular ailment has a spiritual component that can be healed through, what I like to call spiritual intervention. Consciousness expanding plants can give us insights about what may be causing our own physical, mental or emotional issues. This allows us to develop a greater understanding about what has caused this block in the first place and treat it at the source or root. Most ancient shamans and many modern shamans believe we can obtain wisdom from the plant medicines themselves by connecting with them spiritually as well as physically.
In my 17 years as a facilitator for various spirit plant medicine ceremonies, one of the most beneficial teachings I received from these medicines is that when we have gratitude for the medicine we are communing with, the plant responds to us with this same gratitude. When we approach a plant medicine with respect it is more likely to bless us with the healing and the answers we are seeking.
In my opinion, gratitude for the plant medicines we commune with is the magic word! I believe each plant medicine has a higher spirit which accompanies it as a guardian. Some have a multitude of devas or angels which can be accessed if we care to connect with them for guidance and healing. Entheogenic plants are known to have a higher spiritual intelligence and an ability to help humans to evolve and connect with their spiritual nature. When we choose to honour the plant medicine we are communing with, we are connecting with the spirit of that plant medicine. For centuries medicine keepers around the world have understood that, just like humans, plants have higher spirits. When we connect with these magical allies profound healing can occur.
I truly feel we are all spirits inhabiting human bodies here on Earth. With the help of entheogens, we are able to connect with our higher spiritual essence and access parts of our brain which we are not normally in touch with. This gives us the ability to transcend the human plane of existence and tap into a more heart based wisdom where we may find the the true freedom our bodies and souls are yearning for.
I am currently putting together suggested rituals for all of the plant medicines I offer through Shakti Blissful Botanicals.
I suggest you add your own elements to these rituals making them special and sacred to you. We are each unique individuals coming from various backgrounds and influences. There are many paths to God/Goddess and no path is better than another. Each individual has a right to connect with the sacred in a way that feels right to them, so long as they are not harming anyone. Listen to your intuition and celebrate your own unique way of connecting to spirit. Remember that you are a divine manifestation of spirit in form. Trust your innate abilities and follow your heart!
1. Dieta: One to three days before your ritual, it is a good idea to follow some sort of dieta, a traditional practice of dietary and even social fasting which is followed by shamans around the world who ingest plant medicines for divination purposes. I like to follow my intuition about this and find each dieta is dependant on the plant medicine I am seeking guidance from. I love to keep my diet pure and simple, avoiding processed foods, especially on the day I commune with a particular plant spirit medicine.
Dietas also take into consideration fasting from things which may be unhealthy for you in some way, other than physically. For instance, you may wish to fast from circumstances which are potentially stressful or people who may not be treating you with the love and respect you deserve. In this way you are allowing yourself to purify and prepare for your ceremony, separating from things which may be distracting or draining to your energy in some way.
2. Intentions: It is a good idea to set your intentions ahead of time for your ceremony. Perhaps you are seeking an answer to a question you have, or some guidance about a particular direction in life you are considering taking. You may wish to write your intentions down or just meditate on them so you are clear about your goal or goals in connecting with this medicine.
“It is our purpose and destiny to bring a new dimension into this world by living in conscious oneness with the totality and conscious alignment with universal intelligence.” Eckhart Tolle
In order to find our true purpose, it is necessary to connect with our higher self and plant spirit medicines can act as a bridge between the human world and the world of spirit. Setting an intention can be as simple as setting a goal to connect with the realm of spirit
3. Checklist: I love to write a list of all of the things I want to remember to make my ceremony comfortable and safe for myself and my loved one's. Here is an example of my ceremonial checklist;
Plant Medicine Ceremony Checklist:
* Plenty of Spring Water or good drinking water,
* Healthy food for grounding after the ceremony,
* Comfortable clothing,
* Warm layers as an option,
*Blankets, pillows, a yoga mat, etc.
* A music library,
* Candles, Sage, Incense, Aroma Therapies,
* A bucket,